Saturday, July 01, 2006

you brought the unquiet (poemoff 6)

you brought the unquiet (poemoff 6)

i know what love is.

it's the smashing
of dinner plates against walls, floors,
and bones.
i pick lint balls
off my sweater
until it frays--
unravels like a cloudless sky
evaporating into thunder.
there's burning of
a thousand poisoned spiders
under my skin.
you won't escape
so easily.
you are the vomit,
three days old,
i scrape off the broken toilet
now that i finally have
my strength
back for a moment.
you are this corny,
fucking poem
i can't help
let spill out of my fingertips,
yet it escapes--

a burp in front of the pope.
you are jesus and i'm
an eternal atheist
scratching and crawling
my way to the grave.

as i drive,
a night too black for stars
engulfs me.
there's only you
you
U.



The title of this poem comes from Zack's "IN THE DAY AFTER AFTERNOON (poemoff 6)."

No comments: