Thursday, July 13, 2006

poetry writing group

My friend Natasha and I are meeting every so often to drink coffee and write bad poetry. We met on Tuesday and I wrote three poems. One was embarrassingly pointless and terrible, but two, the two posted below, I thought were decent.

tediousness of being

words don't stretch themselves far
in the smalltalk of
buying a newspaper and coffee
or the puffed up pomp
of a crab cake swarae.
their overubundance weighs me down--
thrown in the pool wearing a wool coat
(and i don't swim).
words fill my ears like
water in my lungs.
i'm closer to dying
with each forced breath.


next poem


...but no more than anyone else

a fear that lays in my belly
like hangoveracid
volcanoes into my ribs
and coats them with hardening lava.

my pharmakos,
alcohol--an elixer
that coats the fear and the danger
beneath a layer of
i'mnotme.
heated, dry kisses help too,
until morning when
sober summer sunlight shows
i've been wrong.
have i been cured or posioned?

bileous emotions
each one erroneous
if friends tell truths.


We're meeting again this afternoon and I intend to write my poemoff poem as well as use some old postcards I bought at an antique shop on Tuesday. It's been awhile since I used outside prompts so I'm excited. Excited about poetry! It's been a good summer.

No comments: