Thursday, July 13, 2006

my three stages of never forgetting (poemoff 12)

my three stages of never forgetting (poemoff 12)

I. my electric goat got sick

i tried to nurse her
back to health
the way a mother coos and frets
over the illness of her smallest infant--
she named her after her grandmother--
with yellow hands,
so thin skin.
she could see raised veins like mountains
in the flesh.

i wrap my goat
in the finest (imitation) wool blanket
and throw her to the flame.


II. but at least it stopped shrieking

no longer can i hear
the child's screams
or the whispy moonlight wind
blowing through my hair.

no longer can i (re)member.


III. my soul never pitches in

the diamond sparkles edenic.
i grab a twizzler
wash it down with overpriced beer and a hot dog.
the flavors mix bitterly.

i watch the players strive
to end where they've begun.
their efforts exhaust me
even though i only have to watch.



The titles for each section of this poem come from "MEANS MORE THAN LOVE" by Zack.

4 comments:

Mr Zack said...

that's quite the lengthy poem for you.

you're liking the Dick aren't you?

Did you ever read GALACTIC POT HEALER. it's my favorite, but it's hard to track down.

tiffany said...

You know me, I always like Dick. Seriously though, I've been digging the imagery in your poems.

Mr Zack said...

thank you.

have you read A SCANNER DARKLY? you need to read that one. It should be pretty easy to find since the movie is coming out now.

tiffany said...

No, I haven't. I'd really like to see it. Are there any cheap theatres in the cities that might still be playing it when I visit next (like in August)? I'd like to see it on the big screen and there's no way it's coming here.