Sunday, April 16, 2006

Why do I feel the need to explain myself?

Okay, so I wanted the post that explains the post below this one to have it's own space. You may not have noticed, but last Friday, I commented on a poem that contains links. I considered the idea of writing my own. I went a little crazy. But I'm very proud of it. Please let me know what you think about it. Is it annoying? How many of the links do you actually follow? I guess I'm just curious becauses as a websurfer, I'm usually far too lazy to follow many links. But some of my links are important to the fabric of the poem (and some of them are random asides built in for my own personal amusement). At any rate, I feel like this poem really has something to say--something other than a mere moment of existance, so please read it and follow at least a few of the links.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I think it's a very cool/interesting idea, but I stopped reading after the third line, because I too am a lazy websurfer, and I felt that I shouldn't read the poem at all if I wasn't going to follow the links. But I will come back and read it later, when I feel like I have more leisure time to dawdle on the links.

Jessie said...

It was a good poem--but I'll admit, I only followed two links and didn't look at anything more than the headings of both once I got there.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole a-ton-of-links hypertext thing. Adam and I did a hypertext essay presentation for teaching with tech. last year--I don't know, I get annoyed by too many links. It makes my mind feel dissatisfied every which way I turn. Do you know what I mean by that?

ok--so there you have it--my opinion.
:)-

the poem itself, though, was pretty good. :)

tiffany said...

Amber: I'm lazy too, and I know that if I were confronted with a poem like this I wouldn't follow many of the links. Go back and read the poem without following the links and if you like the poem you should try following the links on the lines that interest you.

Jessie: The problems you have with this poem (and indeed all writing of this type) are issues that I have with it too. This is one of the reasons I didn't try writing one sooner. It's interesting that you said you feel dissatisfied as you follow each link. I guess that's one of the points of the poem. We keep looking to make meaning and since one meaning leads to another meaning, we can never stop looking. It's a supremely dissatisfying process.

Thank you for your comments. They are fascinating.