Tuesday, March 14, 2006

"MERELY SO MANY FORMS OF TORTURE"

Okay, I know I've reviewed Zack's blog before, but I really like his poetry, so I'm going to comment on one of his new poems. "MERELY SO MANY FORMS OF TORTURE" is a poem that he recently wrote. One of the strongest aspects of this poem is the ambiguity of it. Because it's so simple and so brief, this poem still has unanswered questions. What's the point of reading a poem if it does all the work for you? I also feel that the line breaks are in the perfect spots. Sometimes poets can produce good poems, but the line breaks are in the wrong place--at least for me as a reader (perhaps I wouldn't agree if I heard it read out loud). "MERELY SO MANY FORMS OF TORTURE" doesn't make me think about the way the lines are broken up. It just makes me think.

1 comment:

Mr Zack said...

thank you tiffany.

and i agree. poems that do all the work are no fun at all.

they're like bossy jerks who kill a bunny in front of you and then tell you that you have to be sad because they're sad.