Thursday, February 23, 2006

analysis of analysis

One of the cites on my blogroll is neither poetry or photos. For the most part, g r a p e z is a poetry analysis blog. I tend to enjoy the analysis on this blog, but it's also a good source of interesting and discussion driving poetry. The post for today includes analysis of "Dear Jim" and "If You Cannot Be True"; I agree with one analysis and the other I disagree with.

"Dear Jim does indeed have some promising moments. There are certain lines that beautiful and well written. As a whole, however, they don't make sense together. The lack of coherence makes the poem difficult to enjoy the whole way through (a serious issue for a short poem). g r a p e z's analysis was brief and very fitting.

g r a p e z also analyzes "If You Cannot Be True," a poem that I rather enjoyed. Sure, the title is a little weak, but titles are hard to write, so I don't fault this poet too much for that. Also, the imagery in this poem is very well done; the use of "golem" in the first line gives the reader the necessary mental image to prepare them for this poem. This poem also has an interesting sound particularly in lines four and five ("thumb's inkprint" and "pupil's pinprick").

Even though I disagreed somewhat on "If You Cannot Be True," I still think g r a p e z is a great blog with interesting analysis and links to discussion-worthy poetry.

1 comment:

tiffany said...

The author of "Dear Jim" found g r a p e z's comment and started a conversation of his own. Check it out if you're interested.