Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Analysis of 38

The poem I'm analyzing today is a haiku. I generally like haikus because they are brief and simple, and when done well, they are incredibly beatiful. I also prefer haikus that are about subjects other than nature since haikus were traditionally about nature; an urban or indoor subject matter tends to challenge the form.

Anyway, I like "38" because it merges the indoor and the outdoor. Also, because I enjoy rain and often miss Oregon winter moments, this poem speaks to me. Even without the poet using any smell imagery, I can still smell new rain and moist air. The sound mentioned in the poem carries the scent to me, so that even as I sit in my increasingly cold bedroom, I remember rainy winter evenings on the West Coast.

1 comment:

Ivory said...

haikus aren't long enough to be boring, unless the poet is really talented.